Scalability of high power fiber lasers is closely linked to new fiber designs. As a consequence, new fiber optical components and processes are also necessary.
Characteristics and Technology
The Fraunhofer IOF Jena develops new joining technologies and processes for fiber optics and its components based on a CO2-laser.
High purity processes without any contaminations for splicing and tapering tasks can be provided.
A CO2-laser is an efficient tool for manufacturing of different fiber laser components and fiber preparation processes with high precision, purity, and reproducibility:
- Splicing of fibers with similar or different fiber cross-sections
- Tapering of fibers and capillaries
- Collapsing of Photonic Crystal Fibers
- Stripping of coated fiber material
- Shaping of fiber end facets
- Cleaning of fiber tips
- Splicing of special rod type fibers, etc.
Furthermore, pump couplers and beam shaping elements are manufactured.
The development of special customized processes and devices are possible.