The Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering IOF in Jena conducts applied research in the field of photonics and develops innovative optical systems to control light - from the generation and manipulation to its application. The services offered by the Institute covers the entire photonic process chain from opto-mechanical and opto-electronic system design to manufacturing of custom-specific solutions and prototypes.
Current focuses of our research activities include freeform technologies, micro- and nanotechnologies, fiber laser systems and optical technologies for safe human-machine interaction or quantum technologies. The Institute is active in its business fields Optical Components and Systems, Precision Engineering Components and Systems, Functional Optical Surfaces and Layers, Photonic Sensors and Measuring Systems, and Lasers.
The competence portfolio encompasses:
- Design and Simulation,
- Micro and Nano-structuring,
- Optics and Photonics Materials,
- Coating and Surface Functionalization,
- Diamond-Based Ultra-Precision Processing,
- Materials Processing Using Ultrashort Laser Pulses,
- Micro-Assembly and System Integration,
- Laser Development and Non-Linear Optics,
- Measurement Methods and Characterization.